• Employ school strategies that demonstrate respectful inclusivity (e.g., address newsletters with “Dear Families” rather than “Dear Parent/Guardian”). Make the shift from “teaching parents what to do” to engaging them in the life of the school.
• Forge community partnerships that stress collective responsibility and leadership and involve the whole community.
• Expect all children to succeed and make connections to students’ prior knowledge and scaffold learning opportunities.
• Use classroom community-building strategies that foster a positive and inclusive environment and respect for diversity.
• Integrate representations of poverty in children’s literature to enhance student understanding.
Charmain Brown is a member of the York Region Teacher Local.